Monday, December 15, 2014

Word Work with Winter Words

Are your students on the ceiling this week as mine are?  This is such a busy week.  It is our last week before Christmas break and we have a lot going on.  This week we we have our 9 week testing, a field trip, a Christmas Party, a sing-a-long, Polar Express Day, and probably more that I am too tired to recall.

At our school, we gave our second grade students a homework pass for this week.  I decided that I still wanted my students to do word work.  We began by making an anchor chart of winter and holiday seasonal words.

I then gave my students this page.  It has two sets of the alphabet as well as an extra set of vowels.
Click HERE to purchase.

The first thing my students do is highlight all of the vowels.  Then they cut the letters apart and put them on their desk in alphabetical order.


Students use the Word Work Mat to build the words on our anchor chart.  We do this as a whole group and I give them clues as to which word I want them to build.  Usually, we do this as a center but today I wanted to work on the meanings as well as the spelling of the words.

This Word Work packet has a lot of other activities that can be used with any word list.  In my classroom, we use it for our spelling words each week.  Sometimes I choose which activities the students will do.  But, at other times, I allow students to choose.

Here are some examples of the other activities.


My students enjoy these activities and I never have to coax to get them to complete these assignments.  You can download this set of Word Work activities by clicking HERE.  You will be directed to my TpT store.

I hope your students enjoy these activities as much as my second graders do.  It is much easier for my students to remain school-minded when they are engaged in worthwhile work that they enjoy.  Good luck to all of us on this fun week.  I am

Cordially yours,

Janetta

No comments:

Post a Comment